Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Saturday Sketch


I chose this picture because I have been thinking a lot about foreign countries lately. Not just the countries, but especially the children in foreign countries where extreme poverty is very prevalent. As I was washing my hands or something the other day, I suddenly stopped and looked at the water and thought, "Some poor, thirsty, little child could be drinking a cup of much needed water right now, if I weren't wasting all this."
Now I am not saying that we should never wash our hands, just because of that, but it is very sad how that consumerist, individualist, point of view and world view, has not only become normal but good in America today. It is for that materialist, "get as much as I can" perspective, that so many innocent children starve everyday. Everyday I try and pray for all those who will die that day, but to think that they are adorable, hungry, little babies, (and I'm not even talking about abortion) and that maybe I could have prevented it or done something to help, by living in a simpler more sparing and sharing way. This isn't just in foreign countries, it is happening in our own country everyday also, and we fellow citizens and dwellers of this world, can sit in our expensive houses, eating our expensive gourmet meals, and waste everything from food to electricity, while we don't think one snit about the poor, starving, cold, and homeless out there. I will leave you with a favorite quote of mine, said and believed by many good people, "Live simply so that others may simply live."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, I've been unable to comment on your blog for weeks - I'd click on comments, and nothing would happen. But today it works! I wanted to tell you that this is such a fabulous drawing - so well done and extremely powerful. Great job! Love you.